S. Büyükkök et al.Paola Orioli
- Riferimento: Large Animal Review 2019; 25: 119-126
- Abstract: This study aimed at investigating cows’ preference for five different bedding materials, namely hard rubber mat (HRM), tartan rubber mat (TRM), soft curly mat (SCM), soft foam mat (SFM), and concrete (C). The study was conducted in a free-stall dairy cattle farm housing 50 lactating Holstein cows with access to ten cubicles per each bedding material in four 40-day replicates through a 6 month period. Cow behavior was video recorded for 24 h a day using two cameras to gather information on the number of cows using each free-stall. Results of the study showed the most preferred bedding materials are soft curly mat with 13.54 cows/day and soft foam mat with 13.02 cows/day. Also, the least preferred bedding material is concrete with 3.98 cows/day. In conclusion, soft curly mat can be used as a bedding material on free-stall surfaces instead of concrete because easy to clean, re-bedded. In addition, although the soft foam mats was the second most prefered bedding materials by the cows, it is not recommended to use as a bedding material on free-stall surfaces because of short service-life and easily deformed.
- Note: //
- Specie: animali da reddito
- Anno: 2019
- Rivista: Large Animals Review
- Allegato: DOWNLOAD ALLEGATO