The effect of breed on instrumentalThe effect of breed on instrumentalmeat quality traits of weaning kids fromTurkish indigenous goat breeds
- Riferimento: Large Animal Review 2020; 26: 19-24
- Abstract: Introduction - Meat quality has always been very important to the consumer due to its can affect consumer preferences. The indigenous goat breeds is an important source of meat production source for Turkey. Nevertheless, meat quality characteristics of Turkish native sheep breeds are virtually unknown for native goat breeds, especially among those that are reared for their meat. Aim - The aim of the study was to determine the effect of breed on instrumental meat quality characteristics in Longissimusdorsi (LD) and Semitendinosus (ST) muscles from weaning male kids born to Angora, Hair, Honamli and Kilis Turkish indigenous pure goat breeds. Materials and methods - Angora (n=6), Hair (n=6), Honamli (n=6) and Kilis (n=6) kids were slaughtered at 3 months of weaning age and Longissimus-dorsi (LD) and Semitendinosus (ST) muscles samples were collected to determine meat quality characteristics. Meat quality characteristics was assessed by instrumental analysis. Results - A significant breed effect was observed for some instrumental measurements of meat quality (pH, drip loss, cooking loss, frozen-thawing loss, water holding capacity, shear force and color characteristics) in LD and ST muscles (p<0.05). Total protein content in LD and ST muscles were similar between kids, but effect of breed on dry matter, ash and intra-muscular fat was significant in LD and ST muscles (p<0.05). Discussion - Meat quality traits of kids born to Turkish native goat breeds differ and this result may be sourced due to variety in growth or development and distribution of fat deposits among breeds studied. Conclusions - It was concluded that there is a measurable effect of breed on meat quality characteristics and chemical composition in weaning male kids born to Turkish indigenous goat breeds. Differences in meat quality characteristics among breeds may be help production of alternative kid meat or might be used to offer kid meat for consumers with different demand.
- Specie: animali da reddito
- Anno: 2020
- Rivista: Large Animals Review
- Allegato: DOWNLOAD ALLEGATO